[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Java and trojans: any last words before Netscape 2.0 is out?

Dave wrote:
    ... it would be easier to root through garbage and collect receipts.
    Plus the rooter would get a sample of the signature.

This argument is specious. The difference is that if you live in the
San Francisco Bay Area _maybe_ you can find my home address and _maybe_
you can find a credit card receipt in it. If I'm using the Internet to
buy things with my credit card you can literally be anywhere in the
world and find it. Further, if the attack is simply to steal any
credit card numbers that is one thing, but if you wanted to steal
Bill Gates' credit card number you probably couldn't get anywhere
near his garbage can, but you can see his packets on the Internet.

--Chuck